Thursday, July 1, 2010

The End of an Era?

It is apparently time. Time to wean Fisher. I am so happy that I have been able to breastfeed for so many reasons- the usual ones like it is good for both of us, saves money,etc. But more so because it was a great way for the two of us to learn about each other in bond when Fisher was in the NICU. And when he had nasal stents in his nose bottles would hit the stents, so they didn't work. Anyway - I have been very lucky to be able to nurse Fisher and work full time. I work from a home office so I didn't even have to pump that often (which I hate!).
I was planning on nursing him until he was a year and then slowly weaning him over a month or so because I have a lot of work travel scheduled for the fall. However, it looks like it is going to happen a few months earlier than I planned. I need to be on some medications for my back that are not breastfeeding friendly (muscle relaxers and my doc also doesn't recommend taking ibuprofen while nursing). I have tried to get around taking it, but my back is seriously bothering me and it is keeping me from being as active with Fisher, working out, and doing a lot of my job duties. I have to get my back better because it is really affecting my daily life. So, over the last week I have been offering Fisher a straw/sippie cup with formula or pumped milk. At first he refused to take it, but he has been warming up to it and now will drink it. The last few days he has only nursed once or twice, and not for long. So I think we are about finished and I was worried that I might be upset, sad, nostalgic, or feel like I am missing out on those last few months. But I am not, I am actually relieved - relieved that he is adapting so smooth (but I don't know why I would expect him to do anything else - he rolls with the punches on everything else), relieved that I can start taking medicines that will hopefully make me feel better, relieved that I can travel for work and not have to pump anymore, and relieved that I can be away from Fisher and not feel like he is missing out on nursing. I am also relieved that I am not sad or bummed about it! I am really proud of the fact that I breastfed Fisher for almost 10 months - after a traumatic labor and delivery, a c-section, the NICU, his four surgeries, and several trips away from him for work. He is a healthy, happy, growing boy and I feel like I have done my part and now it is time to end this era and take care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment