Monday, July 12, 2010

Ready to run!!

Before I got pregnant with Fisher I ran. OK, more like jogged, and pretty slowly. But whatever. I started from not being able to run at all and got to where I could run for an hour straight. HOLY CRAP. An hour?? It still amazes me. I used to think that people who could run were crazy freaks of nature and that my being a "big girl" was destined to always walk. However, I joined a Women Can Run group in Arkansas and we slowly worked up to running a 5K together. It was one of the best experiences of my life. It took a lot of hard work and determination to stick with it and get to where I could run 5K, but I did it and I am still proud! Since I have ran several 5Ks and even a Biatholon - where I ran and swam.
Since having Fisher I have never got back into running. There are the myriad of reasons that come with having a child that is completely and totally dependent on you. And oh yeah - the fact that I work full time. Couple all of that with the back problems and I was wondering if I was ever going to run again. My back has been slowly getting better with three trips to the Physical Therapist each week (dreading those bills BTW). So today I decided to start the Couch to 5K program and work again towards running a 5K. I went very gently and even more slowly than usual - I just kind of wanted to test my back out. Well, I found that I am much much closer to the couch than the 5K....but I did it. I got out there and pushed my super sweet jogging stroller that my sister is letting me borrow and Fisher and I did the first couch to 5K training session. In the heat. So yes, I am proud of myself. Though quite dissapointed with how out of shape I am. But you have to start somewhere. I am really hoping I can stay motivated and make the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment