Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!



In honor of World Breastfeeding Week I am going to share the letter I wrote to the two lactation consultants at the hospital Fisher was beat up, oops born at. First, I guess I should explain - my son had the crap beat out of him when he was born and was in the NICU and had lots of facial trauma and swelling. I really wanted to breastfeed and being a first time mom I was pretty naive about it I think. I told the lactation consultants that I wanted to breastfeed and they helped me. They had to really work with both me and Fisher to make it happen because of his injuries. I later found out that the lactation consultants didn't really expect me to be successful because of his injuries (they and the doctors thought he wouldn't be able to eat at all and would have to have a feeding tube) but they didn't tell me this and offered only support and encouragement. And it worked! Here is a picture of Fisher (and his Memaw) the day after he was born. Poor little beat up baby!!

And here is the letter I wrote to the lactation consultants when Fisher was 7 months old (BTW - we now think Fisher will need more surgeries in the future - but didn't when this letter was written)

Hello! I have been meaning to write you two for a long time to express my appreciation for your help with my son, Fisher. Fisher was born Sept 14th and was the brow presentation baby that had lots of nasal scarring and swelling. While Fisher’s birth experience was far from what I had hoped – you two helped me more than you can know by helping him breastfeed and being so supportive. You and the NICU staff were great to offer support, assistance, and the opportunity to breastfeed in the NICU despite Fisher’s birth injuries. I am happy to report that Fisher is still successfully breastfeeding 7 months later! Since leaving the hospital in September, Fisher has had four nasal surgeries because of nasal stenosis. After each surgery the nurses in his recovery room would warn me that he probably wouldn’t want to nurse and I should try a bottle. However, each time Fisher wanted nothing to do with the bottle but was very comforted by nursing. I actually think that he was able to nurse so easily after each surgery because I learned how to nurse him early on while dealing with his injuries.

As I said, while Fisher’s birth wasn’t ideal – I am so thankful and happy that I was able to breastfeed. I have told Fisher’s birth story numerous times to friends, family, and strangers and each time I am reminded about how thankful I am for the help you both provided. I have sung your praises to many people and have sadly learned that most hospitals do not offer as much breastfeeding support as I was lucky to receive. So thank you for what you do - I know breastfeeding would not have been possible without the two of you and I am truly grateful. I am also happy to report that Fisher is 7 months old and we are hopeful that he will have to have no further surgeries on his nose. He is a very happy, healthy, and definitely a growing little boy!










1 comment:

  1. Poor little guy. :( Glad he is doing so well though. Praying for his future surgeries.

    ReplyDelete