Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Heavy Heart

The nation is mourning.  The events of last Friday were unimaginable until they happened.  And now we are left trying to wrap our heads and process these horrific acts.  We put ourselves in the shoes of the victims, the parents, and the teachers knowing that while we feel pain, we can't really imagine what they are going through.

And then I found out about another unimaginable event that happened this weekend.  A mama died after having her first child.  I don't know this mom but my heart aches for her.  It aches for her family, her daughter, her husband.  I do know many of her coworkers and friends. My heart aches for them.  Again, I am putting myself in each of their shoes, but I can't really imagine what they are going through. 

With a heavy heart we go on.  And in the case of the Connecticut shootings - the outpouring of love and compassion is memorable and beautiful.   The shooter was filled with hate and anger but that is not what persists.  His hate and anger brought an unimaginable amount of love and compassion to that town and those families.  Does it replace what they lost?  No way.  But hopefully it will help the healing begin and will eventually bring some peace to those affected. 

With a heavy heart I was reminded by a friend that Ina May has another square on her quilt.  Ina May has a Safe Motherhood Quilt with a square devoted to each woman who has died from pregnancy-related causes since 1982.    Again - the love and compassion for this woman, her family, and her friends is memorable and beautiful.  I am thankful to live in a community that loves each other and holds each other in unimaginably painful times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment